Wednesday, November 18, 2009

39 Weeks: Date Night

Is the baby here yet?

No, but signs and auguries indicate that it may be coming imminently. What to do? Date night!

Last night, Dave and I went out as soon as he got home from work for a nice little date. We rode across the neighborhood (a quick half-mile) for amazing lamb-pesto pizza at Vincente's, then for a nice walk, and then went to see Where the Wild Things Are at Cinemagic, our awesome neighborhood movie theater.

The only downside was the ride home, where I realized that we have moved from knee-socks-and-skirts weather to full on tights-and-boots weather: my knees about fell off as we zipped home through the 37 degree night!

I feel so blessed to live in such a wonderful city, with genuinely livable neighborhoods and lots of transport options. I feel lucky to live close to interesting people and thriving local businesses. I am surprised and delighted that riding the bike places still feels like an option, and I am pretty sure that this wouldn't be true if our roads felt less safe, or if I had had less support in making my bike stable and sturdy for pregnant riding, or if I were seeking my prenatal care from practitioners who emphasized the risks of pregnancy over its normalcy, or even if I had a husband who worried over my fragility rather than respecting my knowledge of my body and its limits. And I'm grateful for all of these things.

Also? I'd like to have this baby now, please. Because although I feel blessed and loved and simply drenched in luck, this is getting damned uncomfortable, and I'd like to meet our kiddo. I've got this amazing world here, and I can't wait to show it off.

7 comments:

sara said...

Thinking about you & wishing you tons of luck. Your post makes me want to move....

Love date night out on bikes.

Christy said...

Hi there,

I don't know you, but I came across your blog awhile back and have been enjoying reading it. I have a 15-month-old son, and I biked through most of my pregnancy.

I just wanted to write today to say a kind stranger is thinking of you all the way across the country! And sending you good birthing energy and love from Boston. I'm sure all that biking will pay off!

All the best to you,
Christy

Sox said...

I'll be waiting to see pictures of you, your husband and the baby.
Here's to an easy delivery!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that things are going well. Here's hoping you have the baby soon!

Kitty said...

I'm voting on post-Thanksgiving. That indigestion won't be indigestion! - Take it from me. And back to predictions, when do I get to join a pool or something? I'm in a betting mood!

ox, k

Emma J said...

Loving your site and your celebration of Portland biking.

And I'm sending my wishes too for a good birth!

Lyn Milner said...

Katie, Just saw the site. The Picture at the top, you with you bike, looks like you mom did just before she had you!

Welcome to the Portland area, I thought you were going to CA until after the baby and then coming up here.

Cousin Lyn